The rudiments of Transport medicine in Siberia
have come up for the end of 19 century in connection with the construction
of railway, work on the construction of area pathways from Omsk to Ob was
complete in 19th of August 1895.
So Omsk station was beginning to work practically in autumn 1895. Life on stations in Omsk is brightened noticeably after Railway Bridge through Irtysh was built.
In collection of the documents on history of the West-Siberian railway in the section "Device of temporary buildings on st. Omsk" was written that 2014 roubles 53 kopecks was consumed on the construction of hut for hospitals.
Newspaper "Stepnoi Krai" (“Steppe land”) ¹136 at 5th of December 1897 wrote that railway hospital on st. Omsk was opened in 1896, had 20 sickbeds and put in the wooden house.
In 1899 medical attendant Starkova À.Ì. wrote her husband: "In general our hospital satisfies sanitary requirements a little. Building is polluted terribly, and part of sick men dies from diseases that was obtained in the hospital".
In 1903 new building of hospitals was built. There were 83 beds. Now it is department of radiation oncology.
At that time the railway hospital serviced Atamanovsky Hamlet that was existed in Omsk (now it is Leninsky region) and where lived 70000 inhabitants. It was consists of Atamanovsky hamlet (former station Atamanovskaya), Red borough (Krasny Gorodok), Port-Arthur and Semipalatinsky village. More then half of population who lived there was railwaymen. Also sick men was brought on the railway.
In 1910 there were only six railway physicians on st. Omsk and in 1913 there were eight one. There was only one sanitary physician on the whole railway.
In 1914 on the Omsk railway there were three hospitals with 145 sickbeds. 20 beds of those hospitals was allotted for the treatment wounded men by town government deciding.
In 1919 - 1922 there was saturated epidemics such as cholera, typhuses, pox and the others, so in 1920 there was 300 sickbeds for infectious disease. And for the first time the sanitary organization of Siberian railway has appeared.
It was foreign intervention, civil war, economic blockade and disorganization in Russia that led to mass epidemics of typhus and other infectious diseases. However control of epidemics was kept both in the town and at the railway. The system of epidemic protection of railwaymen was already designed. There was conducted mass inoculations against the abdominal typhus, cholera and many other diseases. And this large work gave their positive results.
In 1923 – 1924 the network of medical prophylactic institution increased vastly. So in September 1923 there was opened tuberculous prophylactic centre, at the beginning of 1924 there was opened an insulator for trachomatic sick men, in March there was opened venereal prophylactic centre with in-patient department where were 10 sickbeds. The workshop of dental plates began to function. Two technicians worked there. At that time also there was opened the clinical laboratory, where were conducted gistological annualises.
At the end of 1924 there were 4 hospitals with 230 sickbeds on the whole railway, but Omsk railway hospital had 115 sickbeds. In that time the outlays on the deal of public health was enlarged in a twice in comparison with pre-Revolutionary time.
In 1924 632 persons worked in Omsk medical preventive founding; among them were 71 physicians, 41 school medical attendants, 55 company medical attendants, 34 medical attendant-midwifes, 9 dentists, 20 pharmacists, 12 midwifes, 26 sisters of mercy, 2 desinfector, 20 stretcher-bearers and 347 other personnel men.
In 1925 a development to network medical preventive founding on the railway lasted.
In the 4th of March 1925 it was come a resolution to build a laundry and drying-room at the hospital and devices for keeping of vegetable reserve.
From the 1st of January till the 1st of August 1925 there was open urological cabinet, where respective specialist was invited.
Since before November 1923 nursery help was rendered by physicians and medical attendants, but after November it became to be rendered only physicians, it was decided to organize a children department of Omsk railway hospital.
In the 21st of August the nursery dispensary-insulator was opened on st. Omsk. In the 1st of December children medical preventive station was created. It consisted of a cr?che with 30 beds, infant welfare centre, teeth cabinet and general cabinet for schoolboys The staff of that children medical preventive station were 10 persons.
In the 15th of December 1925 the ocular department began to function in Omsk hospital. There were 15 sickbeds and operating-room. Also there was equipped movable teeth cabinet.
In 1926 Omsk railway hospital had 150 sickbeds. There were 30 therapeutic sickbeds, 50 surgical one, 10 venereal one, 15 ocular one, 15 puerperal one, 30 gynaecological one.
In 1932 there was completed construction of two-storey hospital building and so the number of sickbeds increased greatly.
In August 1940 Permitin Nikolay Antonovich was appointed the chief hospitals and he worked in this job till 1948.
The period of this main physician work coincides with wartime.
Many physicians, medical attendants, medical sisters, young personnel and other took part in Great Patriotic War. All of their was commended by combat rewards.
After the end of War an expansion of hospitals continued, and in 1948 number of stationary sickbeds reached 570. There were 153 physicians and 336 average medical personnel. There were seven departments in the hospital. The therapeutic department had 115 sickbeds, the surgical department had 150 one, the department of obstetrics and gynaecology had 150 one, the children department had 85 one, the ocular department had 25 one, the department of hearing and breathing had 20 one, the department of skin and venereal medicine had 25 one.
Since the day of its openings the hospital was being called "The Omsk railway hospital on Omsk station of the Omsk Railway". But since some faculties of the Omsk medical institute came on the railway hospital base in the thirties the hospital had gained a status of clinical hospital and till 1961 it was called "The Omsk railway clinical hospital on Omsk station".
In 1961 the railway hospital was renamed to "The road clinical hospital on Omsk station of West-Siberian railway".
From the 23rd of March of 1962 and till present time the railway hospital was named "The Departmental Clinical hospital on the Omsk station".
In the December of 1969 there was opened the oncological department, where there were 50 sickbeds. The subdivision of radiation therapy began to work in that department.
In 1972 there was organized the department of anaesthesiology and reanimation with the chamber intensive therapy.
In 1974 after the heavy repair and reconstruction of one-story building there was extended the department of skin and venereal medicine, where was increased the sickbeds on 20 one. Also there was extended and was improved condition of working the blood transfusion station and cabinet of dental plates.
In 1975 there was introduced the endoscopical methods of reseach.
In 1978 the construction of new children polyclinic was finished.
And in that year there was improved the first aid in the stationaroes of departments. Six physicians, among them three surgeons and anaesthesiologist, began to be on duty day-and-night. X-ray photography laboratory assistants were on day-and-night duty. But since 1978 the clinical laboratory assistants and biochemical laboratory one began to duty on round-the-clock work too. Also the record of electric cardiogram became to be conducted night and day in the first aid.
In 1979 there was started in the usage the standard garage, where could get in 20 sanitary machines.
In 1980 there was started in the exploitation the newly built five-storey stationary building that was enable to perfect conditions of functioning the departments. Number of stationary sickbeds became 470.
In the eighties before the opening the city first-aid hospitals the railway hospital conducted a great work of rendering the first aid to inhabitants of Leninskiy region and all city on surgery and urology.
In the eighties and nineties the main and auxiliary departments were increased and equipped by more modern medical equipment.
In the second half of 1993 there was joined the nodal hospital on st. Omsk, which was situated on the 5th Maryanovskaya street with the railway hospital. At present that hospital is the therapeutic building, in which is placed seven therapeutic departments.
As a result of all associations and reorganization the railway hospital became to have 810 sickbeds, 16 stationary departments of nearly all profiles and five polyclinics (three polyclinics for adults and three ones for children).
In 1995 the polyclinic of stations Vhodnaya was joined with the railway hospital and became the fourth adult polyclinic in the hospital united.
In 1996 there was built two-story receiving-building of the surgical department.
And in that time the physiotherapeutic hospital of st. Omsk was joined with the railway hospital.
The hospital became to have 920 sickbeds and 18 stationary departments.
For perfecting social-home conditions of hospital’s workmen there was opened a bakery and a shop on the territory of medical organization.
The railway hospital become one of leading on the West-Siberian railway in powers and methods of diagnostics and treatments.